Treasury of Scripture Knowledge -
<< 2 Samuel 3 - 2 Samuel 5 >> - HELP - FB - TWITTER - GR VIDEOS - GR FORUMS - GR YOUTUBE
2 SAMUEL 4
1 The Israelites being troubled at the death of Abner,
2 Baanah and Rechab slay Ish-bosheth, and bring his head to
9 David causes them to be slain, and Ish-bosheth's head to be
- his hands.
* 2Sa 17:2 Ezr 4:4 Ne 6:9 Isa 13:7; 35:3 Jer 6:24; 50:43 Zep 3:16
- and all.
* Mt 2:2,3
* 2Sa 3:22 2Ki 5:2; 6:23
- other. Heb. second. Beeroth.
* Jos 9:17; 18:25
* 1Sa 31:7 Ne 11:33
* 2Sa 9:3
- when the tidings.
* 1Sa 29:1,11; 31:1-10
* 1Ch 8:34; 9:40
* 2Ch 24:25; 25:27; 33:24
- lay on a bed.
It is customary, in all hot countries, to travel or work very
early and very late, and to rest at noon, at which time the
heat most prevails.
* 2Sa 11:2 1Ki 16:9 Pr 24:33,34 1Th 5:3-7
- as though.
It is still the custom of the East, according to Dr. Perry, to
allow the soldiers a certain quantity of corn, with other
articles of provision, together with some pay: and as it was
the custom also to grind the corn, as needed, at the break of
day, these two captains very naturally went the day before to
the palace, where the king's stores appear to have been kept,
to fetch wheat, in order to distribute it to the soldiers
under them, to be ground at the accustomed hour in the
morning. The princes of the East, in those days, as appears
from the history of David, reposed on their couches till the
cool of the evening: they therefore came in the heat of the
day, when they knew their master would be resting on his bed;
and as it was a necessary to have the corn before it was
needed, their coming at this time, though it might be earlier
than usual, excited no suspicion.
* 2Sa 2:23; 3:27; 20:10
- took his head.
* 1Sa 17:54; 31:9 2Ki 10:6,7 Mt 14:11 Mr 6:28,29
When those difficulties dispirit us which should rather
invigorate us and sharpen our endeavors, we betray a
carelessness of character which is soon taken advantage of by
our more watchful neighbors. Love not sleep, lest thou come
to poverty and ruin. The idle soul is an easy prey to the
* 1Sa 18:11; 19:2-11,15; 20:1; 23:15; 25:29 Ps 63:9,10; 71:24
* Mt 2:20
- the Lord.
* 2Sa 18:19,31; 22:48 Lu 18:7,8 Re 6:10; 18:20
- who hath.
* Ge 48:16 1Ki 1:29 Ps 31:5-7; 34:6,7,17,22; 71:23; 103:4; 106:10
* Ps 107:2 2Ti 4:17,18
* 2Sa 1:2-16
- thinking, etc. Heb. he was in his own eyes, as a bringer,
etc. who thought, etc. or, which was the reward I gave him
for his tidings.
- when wicked.
* 1Ki 2:32 Pr 25:26 Hab 1:4,12 1Jo 3:12
* 2Sa 3:27,39 Ge 9:5,6 Ex 21:12 Nu 35:31-34 Ps 9:12
* Ge 4:11; 6:13; 7:23 Ex 9:15 Ps 109:15 Pr 2:22 Jer 10:11
- slew them.
* 2Sa 1:15 Ps 55:23 Mt 7:2
* 2Sa 21:9 De 21:22,23
- in the sepulchre.
* 2Sa 3:32
GOTO NEXT CHAPTER - TREASURY OF SCRIPTURE KNOWLEDGE INDEX