VINCENT'S NEW TESTAMENT PREVIOUS - Luke 21 - ROBERTSON - GRK NT - HELP - FB - TWITTER - GR VIDEOS - GR FORUMS - GR YOUTUBE
5. They reasoned (sunelogisanto). Only here in New Testament. The preposition, sun, together, and the additional with themselves, denote a very close conference.
6. Will stone (kataliqasei). Only here in New Testament. "Stone us down" (kata); i.e., stone us to death.
They be persuaded (pepeismenov estin). Lit., It (the people collectively) is having been persuaded. Demoting a long-standing and settled persuasion.
9. Let it out. See on Matt. xxi. 33.
11. He sent yet (proseqeto pemyai). Lit., he added to send. A Hebrew form of expression.
12. Wounded (traumatisantev). Only here and Acts xix. 16.
13. It may be (iswv). Only here in New Testament. The adverb of isov, equal. It expresses more than perhaps, implying rather a strong probability. Compare the phrase, it is an even chance that.
Reverence. See on Matt. xxi. 37.
16. Destroy. See on Matthew 21, 41.
God forbid (mh genoito). Lit., may it not be.
18. Shall be broken (sunqlasqhsetai). Rev., rightly, broken to pieces. See on Matt. xxi. 44.
20. Watched. See on Mark iii. 2.
Which should feign (upokrinomenouv). Lit., feigning. Rev., which feigned. Only here in New Testament. See on hypocrites, Matt. xxiii. 13. The power and authority (th arch kai th exousia). The former, the Roman power in general; the latter, the specific authority of the official.
21. Acceptest not the person. See on Jas. ii. 1.
22. Tribute (foron). From ferw, to bring. Something, therefore, which is brought in by way of payment. Luke uses the Greek word instead of the Latin khnson, census, in Matthew and Mark.
23. Perceived. See on considerest, Matt. vii. 3.
Craftiness (panourgian). From pan, every, and ergon, deed. Readiness for every and any deed. Hence unscrupulousness, and so, generally, knavery.
24. Penny. See on Matt. xx. 2.
Image and superscription. See on Matt. xxii. 20.
27. Asked. See on Mark xii. 18.
36. Equal unto the angels (isaggeloi). Only here in New Testament.
37. Shewed (emhnusen). Originally to disclose something secret. Hence, generally, to make known.
43. Of thy feet (twn podwn sou). A.V. omits.
46. Chief rooms. Rev., correctly, chief places. See on Mark xii. 39.
47. Widows' houses. See on Mark xii. 40.