VINCENT'S NEW TESTAMENT PREVIOUS - Mark 15 - ROBERTSON - GRK NT - HELP - FB - TWITTER - GR VIDEOS - GR FORUMS - GR YOUTUBE
1. The feast of the passover and the unleavened bread (to pasca kai ta azuma). Lit., the passover and the unleavened. It was really one and the same festival.
Sought (ezhtoun). Imperfect tense: were all this while seeking.
3-9. Compare Matt. xxvi. 6-13.
Spikenard (nardou pistikhv). The meaning of pistikhv is greatly disputed. The best authorities define it genuine or unadulterated: pure nard.
4. To what purpose, etc. See on Matt. xxvi. 8.
6. Good. See on Matt. xxvi. 10.
7. And whensoever ye will, etc. Note Mark's amplification.
8. She hath done what she could (o escen epoihsen). Lit., what she had she did. Peculiar to Mark.
She is come aforehand to anoint (proelaben murisai). Lit., she anticipated to anoint. Rev., hath anointed beforehand. The verb murizw is found only here.
Conveniently (eukairwv). Might find a good opportunity (kairov).
14. My guest-chamber (kataluma mou). Luke xxii. 11. The word is not classical, and as used by an oriental signifies a khan or caravanserai. Hence inn at Luke ii. 7. My chamber. It was a common practice that more than one company partook of the paschal supper in the same apartment; but Christ will have his chamber for himself and his disciples alone.
15. And he (autov). The Greek is more emphatic. "He will himself show you." So Rev. Probably the owner of the house was a disciple. Furnished (estrwmenon). Lit., strewed with carpets, and with couches properly spread.
Is shed (to ekcunnomenon). Lit., is being shed. This present participle is significant. To the Lord's mind the sacrifice is already being offered.
25. New. See on Matt. xxvi. 29.
26. Sung an hymn. See on Matt. xxvi. 30.
28. Go before. See on Matt. xxvi. 32.
31. I will not deny (ou mh se aparnhsomai). The double negative with the future forms the strongest possible assertion.
32. Gethsemane. See on Matt. xxvi. 36.
33. To be sore amazed (ekqambeisqai). A word peculiar to Mark. Compare ix. 15; xvi. 5, 6.
35. Prayed (proshuceto). Imperfect tense: began to pray.
41. It is enough (apecei). Peculiar to Mark. In this impersonal sense the word occurs nowhere else in the New Testament. Expositors are utterly at sea as to its meaning.
43. One of the twelve. See on Matt. xxvi. 47; as also on multitude.
45. Kissed. See on Matt. xxvi. 49.
47. The servant. See on Matt. xxvi. 51.
51, 52. The incident is related by Mark only. There is no means of knowing who the youth may have been. Conjecture has named Mark himself, John, James the Just, Lazarus, the brother of Martha and Mary, and St. Paul!
51. Linen cloth (sindona). The probable derivation is from jIndov, an Indian: India being the source from which came this fine fabric used for wrapping dead bodies, and in which Christ's body was enveloped. See Matt. xxvii. 59; Mark xv. 46; Luke xxiii. 53.
Sat with (hn sugkaqhmenov). The verb With the participle denoting continuousness. What occurred after occurred while he was sitting. So Rev. Servants. Rev., officers. See on Matt. v. 25.
At the fire (prov to fwv). Fwv is never used of the fire itself, but of the light of the fire; and this is the point to which the evangelist directs attention: that the firelight, Shining on Peter's face, Called forth the challenge of the maid (verse 66).
56. Their witness agreed not. Peculiar to Mark. Lit., their testimonies were not equal. Hence the difficulty of fulfilling the requirement of the law, which demanded two witnesses. See Deut. xxvii. 6; and compare Matt. xxviii. 16; 1 Tim. v. 19; Heb. x. 28.
58. Made with hands. Mark adds this detail; also made without hands, and the following sentence.
62. I am. See on Matt. xxvi. 64.
64. Guilty of death. See on Matt. xxvi. 66.
68. Porch (proaulion). Only here in New Testament. The vestibule, extending from the outside gate to the court.
72. When he thought thereon (epibalwn). From ejpi, upon, and, ballw, to throw. When he threw his thought upon it.